JDK 8 is still supported by Oracle.  Dropping it should happen when it makes
sense, after support  has ended.  If you need to work on Java versions prior to
8, first, I’m sorry, you have my sympathy, second, download an older version of
NetBeans that supports it - if you are living in the past go all-in. :-)

I still have to make Java 8 compatible output for some projects.  If that means
I have to use NB 16 or 15 instead of 17, so be it.  I would absolutely not want
NB to be held back by a need to support ancient tech.  Microsoft does that with
Windows and we are still living with the insanity of DOS drive letters and path
limits because of it!

From the sounds of it, nb-javac is a relic that shouldn’t be needed… cut it
out.  Tooling (Maven/Gradle) can support alternative compilers in some cases…
maybe if those compilers are compatible with the javac API they can integrate
with NB for better editor feedback or whatever. If someone wants to support
nb-javac as an optional plugin fine, but overall the platform needs to move
forward, not hold on to the past.  Apache shouldn’t directly concern itself
with nb-javac anymore.

Changes is inevitable, resistance is futile, etc…  I’m much more interested in
top-notch Java 20+ support.  I think it is reasonable to say that NB supports
the oldest LTS JDK and no earlier.

Just my opinion,

Scott