Just been looking into open source work done in the context of the
European Union and one of the key applications there requires JDK 8:

https://github.com/l-e-x/leos

I.e., we need to stop thinking that Java 8 is somehow dead or
ethically or otherwise problematic -- it's simply what a great deal of
applications use and any strategy we come up with needs to cater to
Java 8.

Gj