On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 at 14:56, Michael Bien <mbie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i generated a release note draft (not public) based on the release170 branch
>
> If you have apache roles you should be able to see it, hopefully.
>
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/releases/tag/untagged-ddeff182f42fef31fb9e
> (if the link doesn't work try finding it on the release page)
>
> should we publish it as pre-release (there is a checkbox for that)?
> Publishing it will create a 17-rc1 tag for the release branch since I
> don't think its possible to publish without tagging something.
>
> It looks like releases are fairly easy to remove, so we don't have to
> keep all release notes of RCs around forever. I think git tags can be
> removed without force push, right?

It certainly would be nicer to link to in the announce emails than the
closed PR list.

We used to tag all release candidates.  Let me know if you think it's
worth doing for this and I can start pushing them again easily enough.

Mind you, the only reason we push tags is to use annotated vs
lightweight tags as far as I remember, and I can't remember why that
decision was made either?!