Hello devs,

we have a large amount of cleanup PRs open in various stages of readiness (some are not even labeled yet so the wrong tests ran most likely).
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Code+cleanup%22

I stopped integrating cleanup PRs when NB 17 got branched and the release candidate phase began, since they could potentially cause unnecessary extra steps for the release team when PRs stop being portable between master and the delivery branch. I did also want to avoid merge conflicts with larger last-minute PRs (esp the Jakarta and PHP one which both made it into NB17).

But since so many PRs piled up by now, I would like to wait till NB 17rc3 is out, and then after that slowly start merging again. Plan is to let some time pass between merges so that everyone gets the opportunity to update the local clones and PRs incrementally which should reduce the risk of conflicts a bit.

would this be ok or should we wait till NB 17 is out?

also:

Everyone is invited to review them for correctness and also whether or not they are actually worth it. Just because there is an easy to use code inspection available for something doesn't mean we should run it on 400+ projects blindly. This is also part of the problem: Running code inspections is trivial, reviewing them however is time consuming.

further:

Best practices for java 5 might no longer be best practices for java 21. Simple String concatenation with '+' will be really hard to beat performance wise and readability wise in 95% of all cases. If you find the 5% - excellent, but provide a benchmark to proof that it makes a difference for the IDE and it is worth the readability hit. JMH would be the standard tool for micro benchmarks - it is also used by OpenJDK itself and fairly easy to set up with maven.

The last point I want to make is that PRs consume CI resources. A CI run, dependent on what tests are active, takes 4-10h of CI time (we got better at that since it used to be much more!). So even if you are willing to open 20 PRs and rebase them again in two weeks you just wasted up to 20x10h on CI time which could have gone to some other apache project instead. This has to be done in a smart way without disturbing the project.

Which is also why I would recommend to wait with opening more cleanup PRs until the backlog shrinks.

Nobody wants to prevent anybody from working on something, just wait with the create PR button press.

best regards,

michael