On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Dmitry Avtonomov <
dmitriy.avtono...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi GJ, I wanted to ask if there are any tools bundled with the platform to
> track usage? I wanted to avoid that in the first place, because many of our
> users might be in hospitals, and they're pretty sensitive to any sort of
> tracking. I only know the download stats.

How usage of NetBeans IDE, in Oracle, has been tracked is via the Plugin
Manager, i.e., per month everyone who starts up NetBeans IDE at least 3
times is counted as an active user. Not a perfect measurement either, of
course.

In many cases, download stats are the only real stats that make sense --
and there again I'm sure I've downloaded heaps of software in my life that
I have never used or maybe started up once only.

On top of all that, what an 'active user' is varies a lot per
NetBeans-based product, e.g., if you're using JDemetra+ (
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/ess/-/jdemetra-officially-recommended-as-software-for-the-seasonal-adjustment-of-official-statistics),
you might only be starting up a few times per year, while if you're doing
seismology analysis you'd be starting up throughout the year though
depending on requirements, while software created for students would mostly
be used during the school year, etc etc etc.

So, these are just indicators of whether a product is used at all, rather
than proving anything about the actual number of active users.

Gj