@Geertjan: All JARs are treated as automatic modules in Java 9, regardless of
this entry in manifest.  Only difference of manifest entry is that you can
provide a proper name others can rely on.

In absence of the manifest entry, the JPMS derives an automatic  module name
from the  name of the jar stripping version numbers. Since the jar names are
sensible in case of HTML-Java APIs (reverse domain), the module name will
probably be correct. The automatic module name we put in manifest will make no
difference as it’s the same string as the automatically derived one.

That said, since all that is needed is to put a key in manifest, we should do
that. This way it’s guaranteed to work, and we don’t need to test if automatic
name is really correct :-).

--Toni

Am 09.11.17, 06:41 schrieb "Geertjan Wielenga"