These things can happen in parallel. I for my part cannot help much with Python
or Groovy features, but I can help with the POCs to improve NB UI and make it
future proof. If for example we manage to replace JavaFX WebView with something
better, contributors like Chris Lenz will be able to use more HTML5 features
for writing their plugins and the performance of HTML-based plugins will
improve.

Maybe some of the Swing/JavaFX developers will also try it out and realize that
developing with modern ui patterns like MVVM can dramatically speed up
development, and lead to more testable and stable code while reducing the LOC.
This would have the immediate effect of better code that needs less
maintenance.

But we can also offer them a way to still run their ( in my opinion horribly
archaic 😊 ) Swing code.

As a side effect we could also replace the embedded Browser for debugging web
applications with a real browser and make Web Development in NB even more
attractive. Projects like the Oracle JET support in NetBeans, but also EE
projects could directly benefit from that.

You're right these changes are driven by longer term goals, but they will also
create huge short term improvements.

And since there's a lot of confusion here between "web technologies" and "web
applications": I for my part don't want to run NetBeans in a Browser. I want
NetBeans to remain a traditional Desktop application, which can use modern
HTML5 UIs and is prepared for the end of Swing.

--Toni