Von: cowwoc
Gesendet: Sonntag, 18. März 2018 06:59
An: dev@netbeans.incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Usability study was: Think Java, not Electron! was:
ApacheHTML/Java UI

Hi Toni,

I was referring exclusively to Swing's ability to resize components in
response to changes in the container size. What makes it "even better"
is the ability to specify the desired behavior more directly. Contrast
this with HTML where you need to use voodoo magic to center text and
images: https://stackoverflow.com/q/396145/14731 and
https://stackoverflow.com/q/2939914/14731

  * No one solution seems to work for everyone. There is always one
    browser/platform that doesn't work.
  * Some solutions that used to work stop working in a few browser
    releases later.
  * Users have to write 25+ lines of code to specify "center
    vertically". And there are 10+ different ways of doing it. And
    everyone swears their way is the best... but when you try using one
    solution or another you inevitably discover they each have their own
    edge cases.

Anyway, my point is that HTML is like XML. The syntax was designed for
computer consumption, not for readability by human beings. Swing is not
amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but it is better in that regard.

Gili