A refinement of this initial proposal for using semver.org is the following build artifact version example. It includes as informational metadata the date of the build and the short git commit hash. This full version is used for issue reporting and possibly other developer purposes.

9.0.0-beta.1.vote.2+20180115.d23e386
9.0.0-beta.1.vote.3+20180209.41da26b

The "user" would be presented with the following user-friendly version (for the last voted build artifact):

9.0.0 Beta 1

The distributors of the release would use the following version specifier (for the last voted build artifact):

9.0.0-beta.1

Best regards,
Ognyan

На 30.05.2018 в 17:48, Ognyan Kulev написа:
Hello,

I propose using -vote1, -vote2, ... suffixes. This way the reason behind the released build becomes explicit.

Why not just use Semantic Versioning 2.0.0 <https://semver.org/>? The semantics of all version components would be clearly defined by a standard. The user-visible change would be using three-numbers version 9.0.0 (instead of the often used two-numbers version 9.0) that sometimes may be presented as one-number version 9. The pre-release versions that we are talking about would look like this:

9.0.0-rc1.vote1
9.0.0-rc2.vote1
9.0.0-rc2.vote2
9.0.0-rc2

The semver.org example for version precedence is:

1.0.0-alpha < 1.0.0-alpha.1 < 1.0.0-alpha.beta < 1.0.0-beta < 1.0.0-beta.2 < 1.0.0-beta.11 < 1.0.0-rc.1 < 1.0.0

Please look at point 11 in the specification for details.

And there is build metadata syntax that may be used. It's not used in version comparison, e.g.

9.0.0-beta1.vote3+20180202

Best regards,
Ognyan

На 30.05.2018 в 13:34, Sven Reimers написа:
+1 for build1 build2 suffixes

Sven

Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com> schrieb am Mi., 30.
Mai 2018, 12:15:

Sure, build1, etc, is also fine and ptobably clearer than vc1 etc.

Gj