Hi all,

We've discussed this informally, i.e., the topic of the release
cycle/cadence, a few times over the past months.

Let's nail it down as far as possible so that we can give clarity to our
users about our intentions and also to enable us to organize features
coming in through donations and otherwise into releases.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+Release+Cycle

Right now, we have a clear suggestion around in which month of the year we
will release. I.e., the Apache NetBeans (incubating) 9.0 release was our
August release (and we even managed to release it a few days early, in
July, hurray!). So, this year, we will have another release in November,
that's our next big target, if we agree with the above proposal.

However, a separate discussion is about release numbers. Our current
release is 9.0. How do we decide to number the other releases? A simple
proposal might be to have our major release in August of each year and then
all then make all the other releases minor. However, that's just a thought,
another one could be that we should simply consider how large the features
are that we have added and base major/minor on that. Or we could try to
follow the JDK release numbering more or less.

Anyway, thoughts welcome,

Gj