One issue may be validation: The JavaHelp DTDs are no more located at the given system URLs, resulting in errors if You don't use an EntityResolver.

Online help has is disadvantages, too:

1. While NB help could be provided on the internet, third-party plugins would not fit into it easily.

2. If the online help is running locally, You'll have another port to use just for the help - I'm already running into problems on my dev machine, especially because I need to run NB 9.0 ion parallel to 8.2 (and even 8.1 for the XML tools).

I'd prefer not to use an online help, if possible. However, the JavaHelp infrastructure isn't really good - one issue being the necessity of the same view declarations for every merged helpset, while You have only one viewer. Another problem is, that there's nearly no indexer logging, though indexing seems very likely to break.

So, IMHO one should think about a new infrastructure, either with integration of third-party help files into an online help, or with better helpset definitions.

E.g., You need only one definition of views, which can be provided by a new help module. And there's no technical difference between TOC and Index - both views are basically the same. So just refer one of both views in the file specifying the structure.

Usually, You also don't need much of the header, if You don't want to support JavaScript. OTOH, You could use the <title> tags instead of text attributes in the item declarations.

Just some ideas.

Kind regards

Peter