Thinking about it some more, I don't mind the concept of "read only"
toggle.  Maybe it's not set by default, but it could be a really easy UI
element to add somewhere.  Just a little slider-toggle element. [1]

In theory, this might be a UI only feature, it wouldn't strictly need
support in the backend api (just guessing).  The logic is seemingly already
there, similar user experience as non-DFMs.

Anyway, +1 to the concept of read-only toggle mode.  -1 for making it
default, but the user interface element should be easy to work either way.

Also agree that undo support might be free if versioning is added.

[1] http://turbo.premiumpixels.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/preview2.jpg