The consensus view looks good to me. I believe preserving the current model
as Joe describes it is a smart approach.

An undo action and restrained use of confirmation dialogs are minimal and
should not significantly impede experienced operators. More often than not,
I'd bet a user would expect similar functionality.

As is evident by the views expressed around read-only/locking, it will be
very difficult to please a majority of users with different user modes and
UI states.

--
Rob