Bryan is correct in that you must be able to connect to the NameNode in
order to perform an HDFS write request. Although the write does not go
*through* the NameNode, you must first consult with it in order to obtain a
DataNode write path. Depending on which distribution of Hadoop you are
using, you will need to obtain the client configuration files
(core-site.xml, hdfs-site.xml) and place them in a readable directory on
your NiFi server. Then just modify your PutHDFS processor and supply the
client configurations (e.g. /path/to/core-site.xml,/path/to/hdfs-site.xml).
That should be all you need to do.

ricky

--
Ricky Saltzer