It is a fair criticism that sometimes the cohesion level of processors
can be simply too much.  Early on I used to 'fight' to find the right
abstraction and argue that others do the same.  But what I've found is
that it is better to let it happen naturally and to offer options.
Matt, I think your approach of giving yourself an option to break into
scripting in the middle of the flow in a way that lets you mangle data
as needed but benefitting from the strength of the framework is
perfect.  Matt Burgess is working on NIFI-210 to incorporate those
languages and many others.

Thanks
Joe