Sounds reasonable to me. branching off of the last release tag and then
cherry picking a conservative subset of fixes for a patch release has
worked well for me on another project.

It's implied in your email, but just to confirm, you're only suggesting
grabbing *some* of the currently-in-0.5.0 issues right? specifically just
those that you added a 0.4.1 fixversion to?

--
Sean