Beyond skinning, think of those who invest in training. Even if not a
formalized program, folks build up organizational knowledge about how
to interact with a UI.

Certainly there is a range of change types that are more or less
disruptive; I definitely don't want to attempt to speak about most of
the boundaries on that since I am not a UX designer. That said, if we
call something a "redesign" it implies to me a level of change that
will require downstream folks to relearn how to interact with the
system.