Github user YolandaMDavis commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/501

    @markap14 Thanks for reviewing! Concerning the extension of
VariableRegistryProvider by the ControllerServiceLookup, it came from the need
to populate the VariableRegistry from NiFiProperties, if available, (which was
provided by implementations of ControllerServiceLookup, including
FlowController, WebClusterManager) and provide it to StatePropertyValue (which
received a ControllerServiceLookup object in it's constructor). I thought about
having a third variable in the constructor for StatePropertyValue for the
variableRegistry however when attempting to implement I needed to interrogate
the ControllerServiceLookup  anyway in many cases. I definitely understand the
weirdness which is why a the least I had it extend the interface as opposed to
adding the getVariableRegistry method to that interface directly.

---
with INFRA.
---