The sign-off is so we can easily see who the reviewer/merger was from
the git history.

We can always go back to the JIRA or PR and the reviewer/merger should
have commented there, but its convenient to see it in the git history
in my opinion.

Personally, whenever merging someones contribution I use "git am
--signoff < patchfile" which I guess is equivalent to doing the ammend
after applying the patch.