"If this not the expected process, we should definitely update the
Contributor Guide."

I think it is fine to encourage it.  It is not a requirement though.

The signoff is not an apache thing.  Committer privileges to push code
to a given repo is an apache thing.

We're an RTC community and the only thing we do require is a +1 from
another committer before the patch/PR is merged.  It is perfectly
sufficient for the reviewer to add a +1 on github comments or a JIRA
comment and the author could commit directly.  No signoff required.

Thanks
Joe