I agree with Matt. With clear documentation and guides, contributions on
the sub-projects can be streamlined and be ensured that the necessary
changes are already available on the core project i.e NiFi. One challenge
is that the committer of the sub-project should have the courtesy to check
wether the supporting changes are made available to the core project and
track its status but given how contributions are being handled in
nifi-registry project, I don’t think it’s going to be that much of a
headache.

We could also add to the helper doc mentioning that if the contribution is
going to affect a core component, the contributor needs to add the JIRA id
of the core project’s supporting changes in the sub-projects’ issue
description.