Yes I do! Sorry all, I had sent the original message in haste to get
the information out for discussion, but didn't have the time at that
moment to share everything else, including my enthusiasm and some
actual ideas :) Here are some I came up with, note that many may not
be "industrial-strength" but still interesting student projects:

- Anything to do with provenance. Uwe has a wonderful idea that I will
respond to separately, but there are lots of applications and
approaches that can make use provenance, such as graph analytics (find
flow bottlenecks, e.g.), machine learning (predict likelihood of
reaching a failure connection based on attributes and/or content),
etc.
- An Apache Calcite adapter that can read from a NiFi Output Port.
This probably makes more sense from a SQL Streaming perspective than
emulating a relational DB, but is an interesting application of
Calcite and NiFi.
- An UpdateAttributeUsingJava processor (with a better name), this
could use Janino to quickly evaluate Java expressions that can
leverage attributes and perhaps all of Expression Language to perform
more powerful functions (without needing a full scripted processor)
- A RouteOnProbability processor, to support Monte Carlo simulations.
User-defined properties could have values whose sum is 1 and whose
keys become the outgoing relationship names.
- A SampleReservoir processor, to do reservoir sampling (good for
testing downstream flows without throwing a ton of data at it)
- YAML Record Reader/Writer

Looks like proposals are being accepted on March 18 (I don't know if
that's for students proposing/selecting projects or for organizations
to propose possible projects) , but there are a number of Apache Jira
issues already tagged as gsoc2018 [1].

Regards,
Matt

[1] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2018ideas