A lot of great ideas here!
I think some cool processors or new controller services would make a lot of
sense for GSoC: no need to have a deep knowledge of the NiFi framework to
get started.
Everything around provenance would certainly sound attractive from a
student perspective: graph analytics and machine learning are trendy
subjects.

Pierre