I’m working on upgrading java-grok to the new 0.1.9 release.  While going
through the GrokReader the the ExtractGrok components I noticed that they
differ in a very important way grok wise.
The reader loads the default patterns ( which are a copy of the ubiquitous
default patterns in java-grok itself.  The older ( I assume ) ExtractGrok
processor does not.

I’m wondering if there is a reason for this going back to the creation of
the processor.  It seems to me it would be better for the ExtractGrok
processor and the GrokReader to work similarly with regards
to the default patterns.   At the moment, there is only one pattern file
allowed to be specified with ExtractGrok ( I think there is PR for multiple
pattern files ).  Besides consistency between the two components,
it seems like it would be better for users if they didn’t have to waste or
merge pattern files to get the common patterns.

I apologize in advance if I am missing something here.

Would anyone object to setting the default patterns as we do in the
GrokReader?

ottO