You're probably not missing anything.  ExtractGrok came before the
record reader/writer enlightenment phase.

If you think ExtractGrok is useful and want to improve it as you
suggest I think you're good to go provided you do so in a way that
doesn't break existing flows (change their behavior unless they opt in
so to speak).  Is that feasible for your idea?

Thanks