Pierre,

I’m going to delay my response on that proposal while I ask for (aka should
gather on my own) some information. Is that really our problem? By that, I mean
are stale PRs where we are getting bogged down? I am sure there are some old
ones that should be closed out. My larger concern is that even new PRs don’t
get reviewed immediately for a number of reasons.

1. Balance of committers to submissions. As the project continues to grow, we
have far more people providing code than can review it.
2. Quality of PR. Not that the code is necessarily bad, but the PR doesn’t
clearly explain the problem and how they are solving it, provide test cases,
provide templates or a Docker container if interacting with an external
service, etc. All of these things add up to make the cost of reviewing higher.
3. What PRs cover. Previously, there was still a lot of low-hanging fruit, and
less complexity. While the project is still fairly cleanly organized, many PRs
now are less “add this simple functionality” and more “improve this complicated
feature.”

I guess I would not have a problem with your proposal, but I do wonder if there
are more effective ways to reduce the backlog by identifying other areas of
improvement.

Andy LoPresto
alopre...@apache.org
alopresto.apa...@gmail.com