Team,

We've discussed in the past having NiFi 2.0 move from Java 8 to Java 11 as
the required minimum while also working on Java 17.

As we move on in time though we are now 4 months (Sept) from. Java 11
openJDK going end of support.  Meanwhile, the Spring 5.x line goes end of
support as of next year and Spring 6.x requires Java 17.  Also Java 21
comes out in Sept as well and is already the next LTS release.

I am increasingly of the view that we should seriously discuss/consider
moving to Java 17 as our basis for NiFi 2.0 as otherwise it basically means
we'll be forced to move to NiFi 3.0 quite quickly.

We already know we can build and run on Java 17 so we're good there.  We'll
soon want to do the same for Java 21 ... and the more 'old stuff' we hold
on to the harder it is.

Who will be seriously impacted by the removal of Java 11 and what was your
plan for upgrading to Java 17?

thoughts?