What about the people who are just learning Nuttx? Simple is relative. I can
see how a check out of one folder would make it hard in your setup and simple
for the New folks is'nt that way we are here to grow the project?

BTW: your argument is solve by sub modules. You would just check out from nuttx
repo
It is also very helpful to have multiple remotes
nuttx
 nuttx ASF nuttx repo
apps
  nat   nathan's apps repo
  nuttx ASF apps repo

git fetch nuttx
git log nuttx/apps - hmm that changed in make in afd890
git reset --hard nat/apps
git cherry-pick afd890