I would like to get some clarification on the projects degrees of freedom
under ASF from our mentors.

Since we are all (except a few) new to the “Apache way” I think we need
some enlightenment.

I feel it is important that we, as a group, understand what are
guidelines, rules and absolutes.

I do not want to be taking statements out of context and acting on them
without asking questions as this could severely curtail the growth of this
project.

=== Questions ===

Am I correct in understanding that ASF requires project dev communications
to be in the open and publicly available” ?

Does this need to be on only these mailing lists we have been provided by
ASF? Or can we be using Google Groups and mirror the reference the list?

I ask this for the reason that the lists are very hard to follow. Granted
I may be using them wrong, but having 150 emails a day that lack any
context is more noise than signal and I find it a HUGE a waste of time. If
this is the only option I am open to be instructed on how to use them
better.

Who is the moderator on a list?
- If someone is being abusive is that left on the list forever?
How does one correct a mistake in their post?

Is it an ASF edict to not use the existing NuttX slack?

Other than the release procedures and distribution tools/locations is the
project free to use any tool we want for development, testing and CI?

Given the history in the name of  ASF: Are we required to support changes
by patches?
    -  What tool does apache support for avoiding duplicate work on
patches? Is there a semaphore?
    - How does a group review a patch collaboratively?

David