I got a response from Philipp Klaus Krause, maintainer of SDCC:

"I guess there was a misunderstanding. SDCC can now assign struct and
union, but it still can't pass and return them.

I think passing and returning struct and union will be supported in
4.3.0 (some SDCC developers want to look into implementing it this
summer)."

So, probably after version 4.3 we could use SDCC to compile NuttX again.

BR,

Alan