I also prefer '-' character but after some adventures with crazy
JavaScript world I have switched to '_' as it treated part of the
string as mathematical subtraction operation on the string lol :-) :-)
:-)

I never had this problem with C or Python so we should be safe here :-) :-)

The ZiLOG tools won't accept a hyphen in file names either.

There are also quirks with use of hyphens in filenames.  For example, the first character of a filename cannot be a hyphen.  I think that there are some old, obsolete file systems that won't accept a hyphen in a filename either.