Hi,

I agree, but we should make progress on several points before it's possible :

-how to configure it at runtime in a modular manner that can be customized by the user? It's usual that we need a choice of fixed ip  or DHCP. config file? runtime commands like nmcli? How to store the config? DHCP itself should be cancellable if the network goes down while the DHCP request is running.

-how to start it? This requires a boot script so the daemon can be started in the background while NSH runs. This is not generic NuttX way to do things, many systems dont actually require this.

-how to get feedback from it? We have developed a message bus that notifies other apps, but this is also user-specific.

So I dont see this being agreed upon in a way that pleases everyone soon :-)

This is putting a foot in the "userspace initialization" which has always been user-specific in NuttX.

On the issue of boot scripts, there is also an important change that would be nice to have upstream: Split the nsh ability to mount a romfs (or any fs) and the nsh ability to run different kinds of logon scripts. For the moment this is tightly coupled at the kconfig level.

This separation is more unix-like: the shell program should not mount stuff as a built-in feature, but do that as part of a some flexible config. This is probably controversial so I wont defend this opinion unnecessarily. There are RTOS situations where we dont need/want these features.

In our boards the romfs is mounted by the board, so our nuttx own apps already have this change.

Sebastien