The first sweep through the maincss.css file was committed to the project Saturday (thanks Jacques!). The redundant font properties assignments were eliminated and color assignments were changed to hex values.

The second sweep through the maincss.css file is in Jira now (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-666). This step converts all pt and px sizes to em - making the UI scalable.

I know everyone is busy, but it would really help move things along if someone with a Mac and a *nix machine could try out the patch in OFBIZ-666. It will take only a few minutes of your time. Just browse through a few manager pages and look for obvious problems. If you don't see any right away, then the patch is probably ready for commitment.

I just posted the CSS/HTML Best Practices in the project Wiki (http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Best+Practices+Guide).

I will have an umbrella Jira issue set up soon and I'll start assigning
sub-tasks.

Looking to the future -

I'll make one more change to maincss.css which will add a new set of CSS classes. All of the old classes will be left untouched. My goal is to get the refactoring effort to start using newer, better organized classes. This will help reduce the amount of code needed in the widgets and templates. The UI look and feel should remain unchanged. Actually, I take that back. A lot of the UI's quirky behavior will start to go away. ;)

Check out experimental_2.patch in the sandbox Jira issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-633) to get a peek at the new classes. Please leave comments.