My almost exclusive use of simple methods stems from my lack of
technical skills and not from a perceived superiority of it.  When
getting familiar with OFBiz I found it much easier to find examples of
use because the tags could be searched for.  Without the tags that are
present in an xml structured language, it is much more difficult for
someone to produce anything of value unless they have a strong
understanding of java and are willing to spend the time to get
intimately involved with the major classes in OFBiz.

As far as typing, if you're talking keystrokes, that's an editor issue.
 The xml editor available in the the eclipse web tools platform does a
perfect job of reading the xsd.  If it's actual characters on the
screen, I can't really offer anything there.  If you find it difficult
to read, changing the coloring of the editor is a rather obvious point
of help, but I imagine you already know that.

In regards to a possible GUI aspect or using OFBiz as a sort of IDE, I
think you would need to be able to load/unload components and services
before you would want to seriously consider the potential benefit.

Is minilang the devil?  Possibly.  It's allowed just enough crutch for
me not to really invest the time in learning Java.  I can certainly
read what's going on, but I still lack the creative tonicity needed to
write quickly in Java starting with a blank screen.  If minilang is the
devil, maybe the devil has gotten a bad wrap ;-)