David E Jones wrote:
Adrian Crum wrote:

5. Modify the form widget to support user selected time zones and locales. Currently the form widget forces the user to input date/time in the server's format and time zone. I haven't started on that yet.

I'm not totally sure what you have in mind here, but I'll keep an eye out for more info from you and see if I can help out.

IMO the main priority for this is to properly support time zones. I'm still a big fan of the descending date/time format instead of using localized formats. The problem with those is that there are either too few or too many "standards" and so unless you show a format string with every input box it can be VERY confusing and frustrating to figure out how to type in a date and/or time. We also need to keep in the mind that the popup window for date selection would need to have something passed into it so it knows how to format the date/time string based on the selection.

So yeah, in general I'm a big fan of using the descending format everywhere, even consumer/public facing applications (at least as a default, there are certainly tools to support other formats as needed for custom UIs).

-David

David,

There are two date/time issues that need to be addressed in the form widget:

1. Converting Strings to/from Timestamps using the user's time zone. I'm thinking this is something that needs to be controlled by a widget XML element attribute - since there may be cases where the server's time zone should be used. It would be best to have the widget default to the server's time zone (for backward compatibility) and have time zone support switched on through an XML element attribute.

2. Date/time input format. I agree that the descending format should be retained for consistency sake. However, our users prefer to input dates in the mm/dd/yyyy format. So, I'll leave that issue alone and let someone else tackle the configurable data entry format that Daniel Martinez proposed.