+1 for the simple tar/zip download principle as a monthly head build and
as David suggests it's needs a script of some sort to make it's creation
simple. Go with the KISS principle.

I'm not so sure on the SVN inclusion as I've had problems in the past
trying to transfer deployments across platforms i.e. copying a Windows
based SVN checkout onto a Linux based OS or vice versa and then trying
to use SVN commands like "svn up" invariably it would result in errors
about SVN version incompatibilities. That's even when both platforms are
running recent distros with updates.

I would see this as the base for the debian and rpms deployments i.e. if
brainfood or others were up for it they could take the monthly simple
tar/zip package and repackage for apt etc.

Ray