I suspect that there is no difference between openjdk and oracle jdk as far
as the release cycle because oracle steers both.

However, like Jacopo I am not too concerned. The quick release cycle they
want to adopt means that there will be perhaps less drastic changes between
the versions.

I am open to changing our release cycle, but then we have to think
carefully about releases and more importantly we _must_ automate updates.
Something we can get ideas from is the upgrade package that a software
system like suitecrm provides to allow users to upgrade with a click.

However, I prefer sticking with our release cycle until we have a complete
idea of how to proceed.