Hello Michael,

Michael Brohl <michael.br...@ecomify.de> writes:

> a quick heads up for this topic.
>
> After following the release strategy and thinking more about it, I
> think that most users will go with a subscription model and subscribe
> for an LTS version. The costs are moderate [1] and I assume that few
> users will go through a repeating 6 month "early access - update -
> test - go live" circle for free Java versions.
>
> Java 11 EA is available [2] so we could start to test with it.
>
> I wonder if we should base the OFBiz 17.12 release on Java 8 or Java
> 11. We have no fixed release date yet so we might have time to do it.
>
> Another way would be to make a new branch which will support Java 11.
>
> What do people think?

I think OFBiz should be conservative in its choices.  Given the fact
Java 11 is not release yet or is about to be released, OFBiz should keep
compatibity with the previous LTS release meaning java 8.  Of course
This does not mean that OFBiz should not be tested with more recent Java
releases too.

Having an extra branch has a maintenance burden that should be balanced
with the benefits it provides.  What benefits do you see in having a
Java 11 branch?

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37