Le 14/06/2018 à 07:22, Scott Gray a écrit :
My first inclination is that taking legal advice from a company that is
trying to sell you a license, probably isn't a good idea.  They have a
vested interest in trying to convince you not to use the MIT version.

Regardless, I think Taher's solution works in the short term
For that I think we need to ask Legal. Anyway better to ask them for both
versions (2.1.7 or 4.2.0)

and the other
alternative is to revert back to a 2.x version until a suitable replacement
is found.
Why a replacement would be needed?

Looking at the commit logs it hasn't been very long since we
switched from 2.x to 4.x for no other reason than "let's update
everything!".
Right, I believe using 2.1.7 is the way. We were using it until Oct 13 2017,
r1812161.
It's the same than in BIRT distributed runtime packages and I expect Eclipse
Legal team is aware. Certainly a reason why they never updated.

So the question for our Legal could as simple as:

1. Eclipse BIRT distributes itext 2.1.7 in their runtime packages under the EPL
license.
2. We want to use the same directly as a declared dependency
3. But we wonder what to think about
https://developers.itextpdf.com/question/versions-older-than-5

@team: what do you think? I'd not even ask for 4.2.0 because I expect a
negative answer. But if you prefer we can add it.

Should we say that we use the 2.1.7 version for years?

Jacques

Regards
Scott

On 14 June 2018 at 05:47, Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>