I agree with the approach what Pierre suggested to go with
ProductCategoryAttribute and ProductAttribute. Because for range of
products we may need different default values. Also agree with Scott on the
point there must be flexibility at CSR end to override the rule based on
the reason of return and relationship with customer. That means, we should
not stop CSR to create return if days passed, and simply can popup the
message that number of days have been passed and if she still wants to
continue then she should be able to do that.

After inputs from all, my suggestion is to go for ProductCategoryAttribute
and ProductAttribute configuration but it should not stop CSR to
place/accept return. And simply inform her that number of days has been
passed.

Best Regards,
--
Rishi Solanki