Hi All,
Currently the various business intelligence (BI) functionalities are
scattered in various components (consider all the overviews regarding
inventory positions, orders/deliveries per customer/supplier) in the
applications folder.

And on the other hand we have the BI component and the Birt component in
the plugins repo. Both of those components have minimal functionality
regarding the business intelligence aspect. But both components are
complimentary:

   1. the bi (short for: Business Intelligence) component initialised the
   OFBiz DWH and has secas and services for copying data from the ofbiz
   database to the ofbizolap database, and
   2. the birt (short for Business Intelligence Report Tool) component is
   intended to deliver on  functionalities to display data overviews in
   various forms (tables, charts, in PDFs, UI widgets, etc)...

Unfortunately, both components lack of love from our community. But a bit
more love would significantly enhances the appeal of OFBiz for (potential)
adopters!

As a result from a customer project, I recently have been working a bit
more on the business intelligence aspect (see recent tickets in [1] and
[2]).

I believe it would be in the best interest of the project to integrate the
functionalities in the Birt component into the BI component. It will send a
clear message to both (potential) adopters and OFBiz developers (both our
contributors, and those not participating here but working on
implementations of adopters), being:

*everything related with business intelligence happens in and comes from
the bi component*.

What do you think?

When we have this, the community can start working on enhancing the single
component to increase its (and inherently OFBiz) appeal:

   1. more entitiy definitions for dimension and fact tables (per [3], from
   the OFBiz related books),
   2. more scheduled services that move data from various ofbiz tables into
   ofbizolap tables,
   3. more UI widgets for displaying data aggregations (tables, charts) in
   the form of portal pages widgets. These portal page widgets can then be
   integrated by our adopters dynamically anywhere in the components of the
   applications folder, e.g through starting/main pages.

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20OFBIZ%20AND%20component%20%3D%20bi%20AND%20status%20not%20in%20(Closed)
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20OFBIZ%20AND%20component%20%3D%20birt%20AND%20status%20not%20in%20(Closed)