I think Jacopo got it just right!

BI to me means a collection of complex queries and services that give
insightful information (not necessarily even visual). Birt on the
other hand is a specific tool that makes it possible to design and
create reports interactively using a drag-and-drop behavior and it is
one of multiple options available. Hence BI is a generic thing while
BIRT is a specific tool. Furthermore, BIRT has lots and lots of
dependencies which might not be appealing to everyone using it.

So I think the two represent entirely different concepts. And the only
relationship might / should be that birt depends on some things in BI
but not the opposite.