Hi Jacopo,

Inline too

Le 01/08/2019 à 07:34, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
Hi Jacques,

please see inline:

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 6:52 PM Jacques Le Roux <
jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com> wrote:

Hi Jacopo,

I still don't see what the concerns could be.

  From the performance perspective: the (55 Ko!) download would be done
only once by instance installed; and when only used instead of the manual
procedure.

I am quoting from [*]:

"PLEASE NOTE The SVN directories under https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
  are not to be used to link to releases on download pages or elsewhere.
Download pages must use the ASF mirror system [...]"

[*] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#distribution
The download would be from OFBiz repo not from
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/.

This said I get the idea, and it gave me another: as a priority we should download the wrapper from Gradle "repo", and if it's not longer there, use OFBiz repo. Later would be very rare.

I'll add that in OFBIZ-10145, in order to provide new init-gradle-wrapper
scripts for hopefully next releases...

  From the legal perspective, I don't see any issues.

For the legal perspective, considering that we would distribute from svn
files that are not part of a release, this may be relevant [**]:

"Unreleased materials, in original or derived form... [...]:

    - MUST NOT be distributed through channels which encourage use by anyone
    outside the project development community.

I also read  there:

   <<Release Policy specifies that binary packages provided by third parties
which meet certain criteria may be distributed alongside official source
   packages. Such packages are sometimes referred to as "convenience binaries" to
distinguish them from other binary packages.>>

It gave me another idea. I think we (the OFBiz community) could agree that the Gradle wrapper files are "convenience binaries provided by third parties which meet certain criteria". Then we can discuss (or ask legal) if "distributed alongside official source packages" includes downloading them later. That would avoid OFBiz repo in the very rare case where the wrapper would not be available in Gradle "repo". But it a bit more complicated and not sure it's worth following this way

    - MUST NOT be advertised to anyone outside of the project development
    community.

I don't think we would advertise it

    - MAY be distributed to consenting members of a development community."

Again the idea of putting the Gradle wrapper files surges here. Again seems convoluted. I believe Gradle will not soon remove from their "repo" the wrapper versions which are used by R17 and R18.

Anyway it's not mine to decide but the community

[**] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#unreleased

Jacopo

But I'm not much opinionated for R16 either. Let's do it this way then.

Jacques

I must add here that I'm not doing that for myself but to ease UX. That's why it's not something I'm much opinionated about, after all it's only sugar for users...

Nevertheless, we could also have the init scripts in the branches (to be removed when releasing if we don't agree with my proposition) for devs, like at least Nicolas and I, who want an easiest experience when installing for customers...

I can't think at anything else :)