Hi All,

This is my 1st weekly reminder :)

As you may know CSRF attacks are very bad. TL;DR: They are hard to provoke but once you are able to create one, mostly using social engineering, they can be "/devastating for both the business and user/".[1]

OFBiz is currently riddled with CSRF vulnerabilities, all not idempotent URLs[2] are susceptible to be attacked. James started an effort to fix them with OFBIZ-11306 and I joined him.

Though, after almost 3 months of work, I'm pretty confident about our results, I have investigated how to validate our effort, with 3 mains penetrations tools: Burp, Owasp Zap and Qualys.

I notably followed[3]. Since we have (normally) covered all cases (see
OFBIZ-11306 description), I did not find a way to penetrate using this method.

Moreover, I'm a developer not a penetration tester. And, for misc. reasons, I find quite painful to use those tools when it comes to CSRF, even if it's well explained in[3].

I did not either find an easy way to automatically test all URLs for CSRF vulnerabilities. It seems to me that the most powerful tool is Qualys but so far I have been unable to scan a localhost instance. I expect to work on that next week. If I can't get it working it would be nice to have a domain where to put the changes and launch Qualys, and Zap that I have to test for the same also, against this domain.

Another aspect I'd be interested in are regressions. I don't think there should be any, but if you can apply the patch, or use my fork branch (see OFBIZ-11425), and have a short tour it would be good.

[1]
https://www.imperva.com/learn/application-security/csrf-cross-site-request-forgery/
[2] this is security jargon :), and idempotent URL is one that does not change the state of the application. It's a bit more than safe URL: http://restcookbook.com/HTTP%20Methods/idempotency/
[3]