The workaround is easy, the rest I doubt. Like this comment at top of
GenericEntity.java

    /** Contains the fields for this entity. Note that this should always be a
     *  HashMap to allow for two things: non-synchronized reads (synchronized
     *  writes are done through synchronized setters) and being able to store
     *  null values. Null values are important because with them we can
distinguish
     *  between desiring to set a value to null and desiring to not modify the
     *  current value on an update.
     */
    private Map<String, Object> fields = new HashMap<>();

There are certainly solutions but I guess not as easy as the workaround.
To be more clear the issue I fixed with the workaround is about immutability