About the +/- button, having it on the right-hand side seems
counterintuitive to me, I would rather see it on the left.  Or better yet, I
love how in gmail I can click anywhere along the title of a message and have
it expand/collapse.

Yes, we may have even both, like in Windows (and in Gnome as well at least, maybe it even comes from Mac at beginning) : you can dlb-click to maxi-minimize or use the button at the right (note then that having them at right is not counterintuitive to everybody, conventions... ;o)

Jacques

Scott