Yes more than a stylesheet!

A theme should be a folder containing one or more css files and all the gif,
jpg used.
I have used sometime phptemplate and it is provided of a powerfull way to
override php functions by simply putting in the theme folder a php file with
a certain name where certain named functions where defined.
This causes the phptemplate engine to override the redeclared php function
and so let a theme change also the HTML part (not only the CSS).
I do not know if this is possible with freemarker but would be the best IMO.