Thanks Jacopo. I understood that, and it makes perfect sense.

Some background info about me might help explain my confusion...

I worked for 10 years as a scheduler for contract security officers. Each
officer was assigned a work schedule. When they were not working their work
schedule, they were considered to be "available." I even produced a report for
the supervisors that showed when officers were available and how many hours
they had worked already. That was a valuable tool that could be used should
someone report in sick, or quit their job. An available (not working their work
schedule) officer could be called in to fill the vacant shift.

Like I said to David, it's just a matter of me changing my perspective of the
meaning of available.

-Adrian