From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Hi Hans,

On Sep 29, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:

hi Jacopo,

please see my comments below....

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 09:22 +0200, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
Yes,

I'd really suggest at least the following in order to make the  process
more canonical:

1) the invoice should be created in the currency that the customer
expects, the same of the order

This is required from a commercial point of view and that is how we do
it here.

2) after that an invoice is generated in one currency, don't  convert it

3) if the point #1 is not possible (why?)  and the customer really
wants to see the invoice in a different currency, then you can  provide
a PDF version of the invoice in a different currency; the conversion
is done on the fly (not stored in the db) for the report, but the
conversion rate is dated so that you will get the same numbers even  if
the conversion rate changes over time

Point #1 is fine and required. The Thai government however requires  that
all currency in the company is in the Thai currency also the foreign
invoices. We also only book into the ledger if the payment is received
so we do not have any ledger problems.

Ah, this is an important point: the GL is done in Thai currency (this  is very
common requirement, not just in Thailand).
There is already support for this in OFBiz: accounting transactions originated by events in different currencies from the one of GL are automatically converted using the currency exchange rate of the date of the transaction.

Please, which source is used for the rate ? I suppose there is a parameter
somewhere ?

4) if we receive a payment in a currency different from the one of  the
invoice: I'll have to think more about the proper solution, but one
could be to convert the payment in the invoice currency and then  apply
it to the invoice

I cannot convert the payment because everything in the books should be
in the Thai currency.

The payment will be posted in the Thai language; howevet it can be applied after conversion to the invoice (but there could be many other options).

Invoices are official documents, and I would be very surprised if
there are countries that require you to modify an invoice if you
receive a payment in a different currency: this could cause confusion
and, as Enrique suggested, GL issues and we should try to implement  in
OFBiz the most standard processes, especially in areas like invoicing
and accounting.

we actually do not change the invoice because it can still be  printed in
the foreign currency, we only change the internal representation....

Well, you actually change the invoice!

In case of audit I also think it would be considered a change in accounting...

let me also emphasize that this is a facility which is optional and  does
not have to be used.....

How is this parameterized ?

Jacques

Yes, but this is, in my opinion, a common process implemented in a very customer specific way, and I am not sure it is a good idea to have it in the trunk.
By the way, maybe I am the only one that is worried... let's see if  there are
other opinions.

Kind Regards,

Hans

Jacopo