I see the events in a event-driven system are emitted by some sources (or agents) and consumed by consumers ( sinks). Sinks have the responsibility of applying a reaction as soon as an event is presented. Generally, event are transmitted among loosely coupled software components. One important think to note here is that source and sinks may not be aware of each other in the event processing and hence this results in the highly modular and loosely coupled applications.

I apologizes if I am wrong but I see ECAs as interceptors similar to the aspect oriented stuff and they are triggered as part of the call to service.

Thanks,

Raj

David E Jones wrote:

It would not be correct to say that EDA (Event Driven Architecture) and ECA (Event-Condition-Action rules) are the same thing. It would be correct to say that ECA Rules are one way of implementing an event-driven architecture (EDA).

If you look at how ECA rules are used in OFBiz you'll see it is very consistent with the general EDA concepts. With all logic flowing through the Service Engine in OFBiz it becomes a natural hub for business events, and ECA rules allow us to do things based on those business events.

If you disagree, please do share. How is your vision of an EDA different from how we use ECA rules in OFBiz?

-David